Mexican Lasagna

 Heartwarming. Cheesy. Gooey. Flavorful. Easy as all get out to make. There are few components of this meal that I easily swapped out to try and make a tad healthier. I created the original recipe for this Mexican Lasagna when I lived in Nashville and it was pretty gluttonous, so this time around I tried to lighten the Mexican Lasagna recipe up a little bit! What I love most is how easy it is to make, how delicious it is with a pretty unique flavors combo's, and you can always make ahead and bake later.
 For this recipe I used whole corn tortillas from the farmers market instead of flour tortillas and my fave, green Chile sauce!! I would say what the hardest part of this recipe is.... but realistically there isn't a hard part. The most labor intensive process is cooking and shredding the chicken! Like me, I assume most people are short on time so I cooked the chicken in the crock pot, this made the cooking and shredding aspect a breeze!

To make the chicken creamy I mixed it with a 1/2 a block of fat free cream cheese and low sodium taco seasoning. I typically don't use packaged seasoning, but like I said I was short on time, no judgements y'all!! Trust me... you're going to LOVE this Mexican Lasagna, only thing missing is some margaritas!

Here's how I made them:


Ingredients:

3-5 Chicken breast - skinless and fat trimmed
1 Package of corn tortillas
1/2 Package fat free cream cheese
1 Packet of low sodium taco seasoning
1/4-1/3 Cup of water
1/2 Cup of green Chile sauce
1 Cup of shredded cheese

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook chicken breast until it is no longer pink in the middle or precook in Crock pot for 4-6 hours on high.
2. Heat skillet to medium heat, add shredded chicken, seasoning, and start with just 1/4 cup of water. Stir the mixture until well combined and there are no more clumps from the seasoning. If you need to add more water this is the time to do it.
3. Add in cream cheese and combine until all melted and creamy.
4. Line a loaf pan or Pyrex dish with foil or spray with cooking oil.
5. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of green Chile sauce in the bottom on your pan, put first layer of corn tortilla in pan, sprinkle cheese, put a few scoops of your chicken mix and smooth to the edges, add more cheese.
6. Follow these steps until you've reached the top of your pan. Then layer with cheese.
7. Bake for 15-20 or until cheese is bubbly! Let cool for about 5-8 minutes.

I be you love this Mexican Lasagna as much as I did, you can add some fresh avocado on the side like I did! Those are also homemade corn tortilla chips with sea salt. Don't worry I'll post that recipe this week as well!!

Stay hungry my friends...

Ray B. 

No comments