DIY bread and BETTER pickles!

I have a weird relationship with pickles. I mean I don't hate them but they will sit in my fridge for 3 years if I have no need for them. But not these bad boys. I actually ate them poolside solo dolo as in not on a sammich or anything! I got these cucumbers from a patients family who was has a garden. I was floored when I saw the veggies they gifted me!! 

I won't lie the only sammich I enjoy eating with a pickle is a Krusty Krab Burger (that was for all you Sponge Bob affectionados). Ok just kidding it's a spicy chicken sandwich from Chic-fil-a, with Polynesian sauce on the side. :)

These pickles were quite easy to make. They came out fabulous, sweet, salty, tart, crunchy and a beautiful mustard yellow color! Whenever I hear canning for some reason I thought it was this looooong and drawn out process my granny did when preparing for Y2K. You all remember that... 

Here's how I made them:

Ingredients: 
6-8 small to medium cucumbers 
1.5 cups of sugar 
1 cup white vinegar 
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar 
1 tablespoon sea salt 
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed 
1.5 teaspoons turmeric 
1 large Ball jar (I used re sealable plastic lids instead of the metal ones) 
1 small Ball jar (just in case) 


1. Cut cucumbers into desired shape and sprinkle with salt, mix and refrigerate about 1 hour. 


2. Mix spices, sugar, and vinegars into a medium sauce pan. Cook on low-medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Let simmer while you wash the salt off the cucumbers and drain. Then place them in Ball jars. 


3. Turn off heat from liquid mix and CAREFULLY pour mix into jars until they are full. I put the liquid in a different cup with a lip so I could pour without wasting the liquid or worse...burning my precious hands. 


4. Cover jars. Place in fridge until cool. After an hour you can eat them but they tasted much better after 24 hours! 

I hope you enjoy these bread and better pickles as much as I did!! 

Stay hungry my friends...

Ray B. 


No comments