No one loves you like you love: A lesson in self care.

...Doing 5 beats a day for 3 summers... 

That's how I feel. 

Grind mode. 

This week I felt extremely overwhelmed in the best way possible. I wasn't overwhelmed because I can't handle the projects I'm taking on, I'm overwhelmed that I'm getting projects that all fit in line with my career goals. It's just all happening at once and I couldn't be happier about it. These are called BLESSINGS. 

Blessings on blessings on blessings. 

I work roughly 60 some odd hours a week or more. But I'm not complaining. Here's the thing... sometimes you have to recharge. I felt terrible, I totally hyped my friends up yesterday like: 
- "I wanna be Ratchet Ray tonight"
- "It's so nice, I'm off, it's Friday, let's turn up"

I even had the nerve to say: 
- "Real talk we linking up or nah B" 

Knowing good and damn well I was in my PJ's on my couch watching Viceland. Then it hit me. Ray you aren't going anywhere. I decided to wash dishes, start the grueling declutter process, and just rest. Like really rest. 

I actually grappled with the idea of going out and turning up with the homies. 

This morning as I type this bare faced, listening to Kanye West's entire catalogue, in a tank, sweats, and Nike slides I realize how happy I am to took care of me first. 

I never really appreciated self care nor understood how important 'me time' is. I'm an extrovert so I'm always on the go and giving pieces of myself and after a while that gets exhausting. I didn't even make it on my computer, lol, I fell asleep on the couch, laptop on attempting to do my taxes. I didn't even get past the log in y'all. 

I tried to hard to stay awake and finish watching Intervention but my body had other plans. I slept better last night than I ever have. Lately my sleep has been all over the place, I average like 5 hours of real sleep and with my lifestyle that's just not gonna cut it. 

I am not Kevin Gates. I get tired. 

I was asleep by 11:30pm, naturally! That's a feat for me, I'm not ashamed to say I take prescription sleep medicine and it has saved my life many tough weeks.

My point is...

Sleep, rest, recharge, take time to love you, there are 52 weekends in a year to live it up. Take a few to focus on yourself. These parties, people, events, whatever... it'll all be there. 

No one, I mean NO ONE, will love you like you love you. So love you first! 

Stay hungry my friends... 

Young Ray

No comments