Whiskey Apple Crisp

A Few Hungry Girls



My inspiration for this recipe was pure whim. I bought apple pie spice about 2 weeks ago for no good reason likely because I really needed pumpkin pie spice and it was right next to it and on sale. Originally I was going to use Honey Crisp apples until a sale associate at Publix introduced me to SweeTango apples. They are a hybrid mix between Honey Crisp apples and Zestar apples, they aren't as large or shiny as our beloved Honey Crisp but I actually thought they tasted better plus they were $1.69 per pound cheaper.

I really love apple crisp and I personally think a brown alcohol almost always pairs well with apples. So I whipped about a shots worth of whiskey in my apples AND my whipped topping. Oops hope no ones gets too tipsy, just kidding after baking the alcohol gets cooked off and all that remains is the flavor profile. Let me tell you something... I really did my thang with this dish! Here's how I made it...

Ingredients

5 Sweetart apples
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar 
1/4 cup agave nectar 
1 tablespoon apple pie spice 
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter 
3/4 cup flour 
1/4 cup white sugar 
1 shot + 1 tablespoon whiskey 
1 tub fat free whip cream 


Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Clean and dry apples then peel and slice them.

3. Place in nongreased baking dish mix 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, agave, apple pie spice, 1 shot of whiskey, then mix and coat apples evenly. 

4. In a bowl mix together 1/2 cup brown sugar, chilled butter, flour, cinnamon. Mix together with a fork until clumpy. Do not use yours hands, the warmth from them will melt the butter and turn the topping into paste instead of crumbles.
                              
5. Evenly sprinkle topping mixture onto apples, place in over for 45-60 minutes until topping is browned and filling is bubbling.

6. Remove from oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes, it will be very hot!!

Whipped topping instructions:  
1. Mix1 tablespoon of whiskey and 1/2 tablespoon apple pie spice. Once fully incorporated place back in fridge to chill, not the freezer! 
I for real for real out did myself with this dessert. I had no idea the topping would be so crispy despite not using oats, did anyone notice that? The rich whiskey flavor came through without the "this reminds me of my college days" alcohol taste! Hope you guys enjoy making this as much as I do! Let me know how it turns out! 

Stay hungry my friends...

Ray B.

No comments