Baked Garlic Plantain Chips

A Few Hungry Girls




I'd been wanting to make these for a while, I tried to fry them and it didn't turn out so well. They turned brown almost immediately but they did retain a hint more sweetness than baking them. They were also very greasy and mushy, likely because I cut the plantains to thick. I haven't invested in a mandolin yet...Christmas is coming right? 

I like these plantains because they are slightly sweet, salty, and garlicky!! They also have a nice crunch to them that hold up very well against heavy dips!

This is how I made them: 


Ingredients: 

1 plantain 
1/2 tablespoon sea salt 
2 teaspoon garlic powder  
1 teaspoon paprika 
1/2 tablespoon oil (olive, canola, coconut whatever you like) 

Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees 

2. Thinly slice plantains, either with a mandolin or if you can weld your knife well use that. You want to make sure they are not too thick, otherwise they won't cook very evenly. 

3. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle garlic powder, salt, and paprika evenly. Put in oven.

4. Bake 20-25 minutes. Check your chips every 5-10 minutes some will brown faster than others, halfway through flip them over. The ones that cooked faster you can take out so it doesn't burn! 

5. Once you remove chips, let them cool about 10 minutes. They can be stored in an airtight container a few days. 

These would be great to use as a dipper for football games this year. I think they'd pair nicely with a ceviche, guacamole, or some cheese dips! 

Stay hungry my friends...

Ray B. 

No comments