Spicy Hummus

A Few Hungry Girls





For years I really had no idea what hummus was, I just knew there was a special complexity of Mediterranean flavors involved! I actually wasn't a fan the first few times I'd had it, maybe my taste buds hadn't matured yet lol. 

Garbanzo beans aka chick peas was an ingredient I used quite often when I made curried chicken or Indian dishes. I'd seen a few recipes on baked chick peas but I haven't tried it yet! The reason I actually made hummus was I purchased some as a snack at work and I was soooo good with pita bread. Thus, my inspiration...

Chick peas are a relatively inexpensive food that can be found in any canned goods aisle. Personally, I'm to busy to be soaking beans and what not. I need food items that can be prepped easily with nutrious value so I will use canned food sometimes in place of raw beans. 

One ingredient that I wasn't familiar with was Tahini, apparently this is a huge part of making legit hummus and I'm glad I added it! Tahini is essentially ground sesame seeds and has a very unique flavor that I really couldn't pin point. Nonetheless I purchased it, the bottle was about $9 dollars in the peanut butter aisle. 

Quick Chick Pea facts: 
- is a legume 
- no cholesterol 
- low fat 
- good protien source
- lots of potassium 
- easily prepared and flavored 
- low cost


Here's how I made it: 

INGREDIENTS:
2 cans of chick peas (aka Garbonzo beans) - leave juice remaining in can
4 cloves of garlic 
1/3 cup of tahini 
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes 
1/4 cup olive oil 
Salt and pepper to taste 
5 tablespoons lemon juice 

DIRECTIONS: 

1. Place all ingredients in food processor or blender. 

2. Process until smooth. If it is to thick add in about 2 tablespoons of the juice from the chickpeas or water. 

3. Place in an air tight container and refrigerate for about 10-30 minutes before serving. 

4. When you serve the dish you can garnish with olive oil, red pepper flakes, paprika, or parsley. Each at your own discretion. 




There are several options of what you can use to dip with such as soft pita bread, pita chips, or an assortment of veggies. Either way this is EASY, flavorful, healthy dish that will impress all your friends and fam bam!! 

Stay hungry my friends... 

Ray B. 

No comments