Apple Pecan Granola


I've failed making granola 9 out 10 times...literally. I either burn it, roast it, make a cajun blackened granola (aka BURNT), or it doesn't have any taste. I really want to start eating Greek yogurt again, but I HAVE to have something crunchy with it. I'm really weird with food textures, especially foods that giggle such as pudding, tapioca, or cottage cheese.  Am I the only person who does that?

I wanted really crunchy hearty tasting granola with nice clusters! The secrets ingredient to crunchy granola is: egg whites! When making this it'll seem really gooey but don't worry it just makes for a crunchier granola in the end. I also added chia seeds for more fiber! 

One thing to look out for when your granola is baking is the color and texture. Your granola WILL NOT get crunchy while baking. Once it's lightly browned take it out to cool completely, once it's hardened you can break into clusters. 




Here's how I made it: 

INGREDIENTS: 

4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar or regular sugar 
1/4 cup raw agave nectar 
2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Apple pie spice
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup oil (olive or coconut works too)
1/2 cup egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 tablespoon chia seeds 

DIRECTIONS:

1. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl to mix all the spices and the sugar. 

2. Add the oil, egg whites, vanilla extract and mix it all together. 

3.Pour your granola on two lined sheet pans (I made this mistake and only used one large pan, I should have used 2) then bake for 20 minutes at 350° degrees. 

4. Be careful with this step!! Take your granola out of the oven and flip or turn over VERY gently each section so it cooks evenly.  

My granola was very sticky!! Don’t worry about breaking it into clusters yet, the granola will still be soft. It won't harden until it's cooked and cooled all the way.

After baking I added some semi sweet chocolate chips which is basically dark chocolate and a few more pecans! It's super tasty!! I even had my co-worker taste it, she's not really a granola eater and she used the words "mmmmmm" and "that's good girl" several times! 

Stay hungry my friends, 

Ray B. 

No comments